Monday, May 19, 2008

My Hair History

Growing up I wasn't blessed with long hair. My hair even as a child never got much longer than shoulder length. I accepted this reality for a long time. I figured, "I just don't have long hair." I've recently come upon some books among other things that have convinced me that my hair struggles don't have to be permanent.
I cut my hair to just below my ears when I was 13 years old. It took me 7 years to get my hair back to that length. It's not that I have not tried to grow my hair. It has more to do with the "Scissor Happy Stylists" I've come in contact with. Several of the stylists I've had over the past 8 years have been a little too eager to cut off my 'split ends'. I've found this frustrating, but I figured they knew more than I did so I never questioned it. I had one in particular that left me with 1 inch of hair on my head - and that was the longer part. She did this in the name of split ends. I nearly cried that day.
The thing that changed my hair life was when I read a book by Cathy Howse. This woman had beautiful long hair, and said she hadn't trimmed her ends in years. I wondered how that was possible. I've believed many stylist who said You can't grow hair with spit ends. I've found this to be a complete falsehood, because I've been growing my hair with split ends for the past year. I'm happy to say that my hair is an inch past my shoulders. This was the moment I realized this lady was speaking the unbiased truth. I will continue to do her practices and document my journey here until I reach bra-strap length. God Bless!

No comments: